Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Considering Special Needs in Church: Ramps and Relationships (Challies Writes)

Tim wrote a really thoughtful and meaningful post today on the subject of ministering to those folks with special needs. (It is somewhat in response to this post.) You should read the whole thing, but here is a little snippet to whet your appetite.

Pity isn't necessarily a bad emotion, but I've found that it does not tend to be the foundation of good, noble and godly ends. I pitied my classmate and did what I felt was best for him. I extended some kind of companionship, but my pity led me to focus on myself more than on him. What I did, I did for others and not for him. Looking inward or upward I was unable to see past myself to see this boy for who he was. I found pleasure not in anything he was or anything he offered, but in what I thought I might gain through the gratitude of my parents, the gratefulness of his parents, or the blessing of God. Looking back I can see that I really knew nothing about him. I never made any kind of effort to get to know him. I never made the effort to let him touch my life or to show me who he really was. I thought I already knew. I was arrogant, believing in the innate superiority of my normalcy while assuming that his eccentricity necessarily meant he had nothing to offer and that he needed my help. He was pitied, but not accepted; tolerated but never loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.