Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Happy Birthday, George Whitefield.

295 years ago today George Whitefield was born in Gloucester, the seventh child to Thomas and Elizabeth Whitefield of the Bell Inn.  As far as dead guys go, no one has impacted my personal life more than George. I thought I would share some more obscure but meaningful quotes from the man to encourage you:







“I love those that thunder out the Word.  The Christian world is in a deep sleep! Nothing but a loud voice can awaken them out of it.”

“Study therefore , brethren, your hearts as well as books.  Ask yourselves again and again, whether you would preach for Christ if you were sure to lay down your life for so doing.”

“I find the more I do, the more I might do for God.”

In reference to getting Christians of different denominational backgrounds to fellowship with each other: “Oh, that all who are truly spiritual kew one another!”

“If the Pope himself would lend me his pulpit I would gladly proclaim the righteousness of Christ therein.”

Writing on his 37th birthday: “I am ashamed to think I have lived so long and done so little...”

“The more we do, the more we may do; every act strengthens the habit; the best preparation for preaching on Sunday is preaching every other day of the week.” 

“I desire not only to do things for God, but to them in the best manner.”

All quotes taken from Dallimore’s biography of George Whitefield.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.