Wednesday, August 29, 2007

'splain this! The Coffee Cup Lid Alignment Plot.


Why, out of all the wonderful inventions in the world, can someone not devise a coffee cup that will refuse to allow the "mouthpiece" of the lid to line up with the seam of the cup?

Does this not drive you batty?

You have 25 cm of circumference and somehow, some way, that little exit hole in the lid lines itself up with the ridged seam of your cup 94% of the time! And this, of course, is dreadfully annoying!

Who can stand that feeling of the paper ridge pressing up against their bottom lip? It breaks the perfect seal. Loosens ones grip. Ruins the whole drinking experience. You should be thinking about how glorious that Yukon Bold tastes... instead you are worried about dripping down the front of your shirt.

And I wish I could say it was the fault of your local barista. “Yes, let’s shift the blame to them!” you shout. But hold your horses. Don’t you find you put the lid on this way just as much as they do?

Which leads me to this conclusion.

It is a plot.

To make us drink more coffee.

If we had one week of perfect coffees with perfect cup/lid alignment – we might stop drinking it altogether. Nirvana reached. Why mess with happiness?

Thus, to keep us forking over ridiculous amounts of money, some NASA-reject has carefully engineered “the coffee lid.” Whether it is through slightly weighting the lid to one side or the addition of micro-magnets, I do not know. But, trust me – it is a plot.

So, I say, coffee-drinkers of the world UNITE!

And buy a travel mug.

5 comments:

  1. If we had one week of perfect coffees with perfect cup/lid alignment – we might stop drinking it altogether. Nirvana reached. Why mess with happiness?


    Yes, because we humans have a great track record of leaving good things alone and not doing them to absurd excess.

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had a clue this was even an issue with anyone until I moved to Canada and was introduced to Tim Horton's coffee as soon as I crossed the border (yep, as SOON as I crossed).

    Someone that day got a dbl/dbl with the mouthpiece of the lid aligned perfectly with the seam of the the cup and nearly had a perfect tizzy over it. It was quite a spectacle, with onlookers nodding in silent understanding, and me standing there thinking "what are you, insane? it's a lid, twist it an inch and life will be good again".

    I'm from the greater Seattle area where espresso stands are everywhere and coffee is as common as rain - maybe even moreso. I never had issues with coffee lids because out there I always stopped at the stand that sold cups with the raised lids, like your picture shows.

    Who knew mouthpieces lined up with seams could bring down an entire country?

    Yep, I agree with you - it's a plot, and it's working.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I bought a coffee yesterday and as I perused the lid perfectly aligned with cup seam I asked myself, in much less eloquent language than was used in this post, why this always happens. Thank you for finally posting on something substance.

    I would buy a travel mug, but as I usually do my coffee drinking in the car the mug would never leave the car and after say, three or four months of drinking from the unwashed mug I would no doubt be smitten with a variety of life threatening diseases. Despite the the benefit to mankind this would bring there would actually be some disappointed folk and even though I want to go to heaven I am not in a particular hurry.

    So, as a Calvinist who knows that God works ALL things after the council of His own will, I will continue to seek to know what purposes there can be in so aligning the lid and seam so often. The coffee is dribbled upon the lap but the Lord determines its spillage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man....you drink too much coffee...a nation of addicts, now that's the plot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be careful, D.R. I might post about Thai food!!!!! (Talk about addictions!)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.