Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Blogger's Golden Rule - More On Blog Accountability

Tim’s recent post on blog accountability brought to mind something I have recently committed to practice any time I leave a comment, reply or post something on my own blog. This really came into focus while I was preparing my paper on the emergent church.

About three days before the paper was due to be presented there arose the distinct possibility that Brian McLaren would be in attendance. Since so much of the paper had to do with him, I quickly read over the entire piece with a new set of eyes! It ended up I didn’t really change anything – mostly because I had tried to write the paper with the thought that those sympathetic to emergent ideals would be present. I attempted to be forthright, but not hyperbolic.

Now I say all that to say this.

I have been somewhat bewildered by some of the responses I have gotten on my blog of that paper. More to the point, however, I have been very saddened by some of the things I have read about me on other blogs.

Some of these authors I have contacted directly either on their comment string or via email if it was given. To a man (and they were all men) every one was much more gracious in their reply. But this taught me something.

I believe Christian bloggers ought to make it their golden rule to never type anything they would not say to or about a person if they were standing right in front of them.

It seems rather simple, but I have read some very disappointing things on other blogs when the author appears to think his opponent is not reading. I have also read things said about me that seem very inconsistent to what was said to me in person.

I am not foolish enough to think that I have never done this, which confirms that I am not trying to blame anyone nor will I identify examples. I cannot recall when I did it (I can barely remember what I did yesterday!), but it seems too easy a sin to fall in to for me to not have been guilty at some level. For that I ask your forgiveness – and hope for your accountability in the future.

Christian blogging ought to be one more place where our attitudes and actions (and keystrokes) demonstrate the remarkable and supernatural work of the Holy Spirit in us to the glory of God our Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.