Monday, March 20, 2006

Being gay, Christian and African

Click here for BBC article...

Although I have never been there, I have a certain love for Africa - especially due to one dear brother and his family. That is why this article caught my attention and my sorrow. It seems that Western norms are continuing to creep into Africa, and as is often the case, it is our worst that is exported most effectively.
One homosexual, Kenyan man wrote to the BBC about the liberation he experienced while studying in the UK...

"Although there are laws against sodomy in Kenya, there is a secretive gay scene in Nairobi - certain pubs and clubs.
However, because my faith is so pivotal to me, I've chosen to be single and to be celibate. I can't say I've always been successful - I am a human being, not perfect.
For the last two years, I've been studying in the UK and the church in the West is a lot more accepting and has taught me to accept myself for who I am...

It has been easier to come to terms with being gay in the UK because Nairobi is a much smaller society and people talk - the stigma associated with homosexuality does cut.
I really hate the way people run to the Bible just to justify their biases and fears. If they knew more about Christianity they would accept homosexuals or anyone else for who they are."

1 comment:

  1. It's sad that anything, but especially the church, would help this guy to feel at home with his sin. His letter begs the discussion of whether gays are born gay or choose to be gay or are molded by their environment. But that aside, I applaud his decision to remain single and celibate which is more than many straights I know choose to do. The fact that he's struggling with it is encouraging, but then why does he hope Africa will come to accept homosexuality? That part seems contradictory to me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.