Thursday, October 16, 2008

MLJ on The Non-use of an Altar Call

"That is why I never try to frighten people into the kingdom of God. I do not even call people forward at the end of a service. I know that when the Spirit of God has dealt with them, has changed them, and has given them new minds and hearts, they will come and tell me or tell somebody else. I do not want an immediate decision because I know that even I can produce decisions. A man’s eloquence or the use of lights or music can produce decisions. But I do not do that. I simply put the truth before people, and it is the Spirit of the living God alone who can apply that truth, and He does."

- D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Courageous Christianity, 299.

2 comments:

  1. But isn't there a way to do an altar call that preserves the antinomy of divine sovereignty and human responsibility?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.