Friday, February 29, 2008

Friday Thankfulness...

My Church and WIS 2008

One joy in hosting a conference like we are doing tomorrow is getting to see your sheep step up to the plate to serve. I have been humbled again and again as folks at GFC have volunteered their time and energy in a multitude of ways to make this conference a great time for everyone.

I suppose we will not please every registrant, but I am rejoicing that my friends are working hard to do just that anyway. Probably the biggest disappointment everyone will have to deal with is me! Sorry... but you get what you pay for!

Another thing that I am looking forward to at the conference is the networking that will take place between churches. I have been preaching in a lot of different and new-to-me places lately and I am thrilled with what the Lord appears to be doing in so many churches. It is hard not to feel excitement at what lies ahead.

The Gospel of John

I have always loved John 6, but this chapter has confirmed to me what I have long held to be true about John’s writings: a simpleton can understand them... and a brilliant mind can study them for life. (I place myself somewhere in the middle of those extremes, but closer to the first one!) With what is certainly the simplest vocabulary in the New Testament, the beloved disciple is able to teach some of the most profound truths. This week we get to ponder predestination, preservation and the effectual call – all in the span of 14 verses!

My Assistant

Long-time readers of this blog will know that my nephew Julian is my paid assistant at GFC. This new Dad, seminary student, friend, brother-in-Christ has proven his mettle yet again this week doing so much of the grunt work for WIS 2008. I would be 90% less productive without him. Actually, I would probably just be dead from the stress!

Challies

Sometimes I think it is really funny that author (formerly known as “uber-blogger”) Tim Challies is a member of our church. My man has been taking some cheap shots in the blogosphere the past few weeks and this is just my public affirmation that Tim is a real person, a good friend, a faithful church member and has committed no felonies in recent memory. Wait, do we even have “felonies” in Canada?

Murray

Since I am on the love path, it would be completely inappropriate for me to not mention my co-elder Murray. He is the last person on earth who would take offense at not being mentioned, which is why it is nice to do it! Few people on earth are more a part of my life and ministry and more supportive of it than Murray. He is more than a brother.

Mrs. Martin

A lovefest is never complete without talking about one’s wife. I rarely do that on this blog for a host of reasons... but you should know I love her like no other. No man deserves a wife – and in no fashion does this man deserve a wife so wonderful!

See you tomorrow if you are coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.