Tuesday, October 10, 2006

What should a pastor do when everything is going wrong?

I checked my blogflux page today and found this search phrase googled that brought a visitor to this site: "Google - what should a pastor do when everything is going wrong"

My heart ached when I read that. Unfortunately, whoever googled it ended up on one of my posts on Joel Osteen! Not sure how google formulated those search results.

If a pastor asked me that question, though, here is how I would respond:

1. Rejoice - these trials are going to prove God's work in you and increase your hope in Him (Romans 5:3-5).

2. Repent
- of all the sin you are shown in your heart through the refining fire of trials and beg God's Holy Spirit to kill every last ounce of sin outposted in your soul (Romans 8:13)

3. Remember - the only thing to fear in this life is fear itself. There is an inheritance reserved in heaven for you that far outweighs the worst this world can throw at you. Even death is nothing once we are in Christ! (1 Peter 1).

4. Read - the letters of Paul to Timothy and Titus. Then just do what they say - even if it feels like death to do so.

5. Remain calm - chuch problems are hardly ever as big as they feel. Stay your path. Walk close to God. Puruse humility. Trust in sovereignty. Wait expectantly to see what God is going to do. Keep your repose, comfort your family and love the sheep - even the biting ones. (Ecclesiastes 10:4)

6. Pray.

If you are the brother who queried the phrase, I have been praying for you. And I know many of my readers will be praying for you, too.

5 comments:

  1. ... but 'pray' doesn't start with 'R'... :)

    Thanks for this. These are good reminders regardless of our situation in ministry. It seems that there is hardly a time when any of these things shouldn't apply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, Paul. I really appreciate it and want to do those things both now and when everything is going wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping with the "R" theme - how about REST? Good comments on finding joy in hardship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm back - just thought of another "R" word - RELLOWSHIP - actually beginning with F - getting together for encouragement from God's people - Hebrews 10!! OK - I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drob -

    Rhank you.

    Both for your roughts and for rtopping!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.