Sunday, October 01, 2006

DG: Conference Reflections #1


The conference ended with some final goodbyes and Alex Chediak driving us to the airport after lunch. We had eaten at Brit’s where Challies ordered himself the shepherd’s pie. Now this is something I have never understood… first of all, how restaurants can serve this and secondly, why anyone would order it!

When I was a boy, shepherd’s pie meant mom was cleaning out the fridge of leftovers, and – boy, do I love my mom – I was never a fan of the pie. Unless there was ketchup. But that is another story.

Challies is reading (surprise!) beside me and I am left with that happy feeling one gets after sitting under wonderful, Christ-exalting preaching. That is precisely what John Piper did today and I must admit that this whole conference reached its pinnacle then.

One of the things that marks great preaching, in my mind, is that moment when the preacher fades and the glory of God becomes something almost tangible. That happened on several occasions today and made me doubly glad I was here – my soul was blessed and my heart was fed. It makes me want to preach better, too.

I think that is one of the indefinable benefits of a conference like this. It is not that you “pick up a few pointers” on preaching. Rather, you experience great preaching and it inspires you to work harder and pray more and seek the presence of God more.

I am a firm believer that pastors need that. If all you ever hear is your own voice I think you are prone to repetition and a comfortableness with less glory. Get around those that are closer to God than you – that is best thing you can do!

Today is also the 14th birthday of my oldest – I can hardly wait to get home! I remember the birth of my child like it was yesterday and can not believe how the years have flown by. 29,000 feet and 330 knots. Here we come Milwaukee! The descent begins…

4 comments:

  1. Welcome Home, Paul!

    Your blogging was superb, and I've read it all and it's helped me to gain a better insight into all of it. In particular, your coverage of the panel discussions was excellent and worthy of praise. I'm not sure anyone else covered them as well as you did.

    So . . . hope you had a good trip home, and glad to know you're back with your family and refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauly,

    I am grateful that you were able to attend and provide those of us at home with these amazing spiritual crumbs from the table of the conference.

    Gratis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say, I recently had a similar experience. The weird thing was, I only caught the last ten minutes of the sermon. I had to drive a friend to the train station and came in late. But those ten minutes brought to my heart and soul that same feeling you described. So much so that tears welled in my eyes and I sat with head in hands after the service.
    The preacher wouldn't put himself on par with Piper, but his hearers might. Those of us who heard were greatly impacted. Some went to evangelise afterwards and others of us had great fellowship with each other and the Lord.
    May we ever be those on shore screaming to those in the boat, "live"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to have met you, Paul! And nice blog....

    Alex

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.