Thursday, October 25, 2007

On 18 Years Together...

Sunday marked 18 years of marriage for me to Susan. She remains my one true love. To honour her for putting up with me for so long, I wrote an epic poem... part of which I read to her on Sunday night at church. You may not like the fact I read it to her in front of my friends at church, and I assure you that is not something I do every week... but I had some things to say to my flock about my wife.

Here is the poem. I hope you are in some manner encouraged by the thoughts behind the mangled verse!

On 18 Years Together
Poetry is not my strength
Especially when serious
I tend to make my listener’s shout,
“Please stop, Tall Sir, you weary us!”
And this is tied to the fact
That words, to me, are pun-ish
Perhaps you think that I am cracked
I like to think it’s funnish
But enough of me, at least for now,
For I’m out to write of another
A woman, wife, church member, friend
And the very best of mother

I met her back in 85
Me 19 and she 18
When I first saw her, I came alive
And started my long waiting
She had another suitor then
And then another and another
Until my best friend took her out
And I was tempted to think, “Why bother?”

But patience paid her sweet reward
In 1988
When I said, “Um, well, hah-hah... Sue,
Would you go with me on a date?”
She answered, “Yes.” O, sweet word!
A dream come true for me!
I barely believed what I had heard
The Year of Jubilee!

And soon that girl was more than friend
I knew for sure I loved her
Time for courting drew to an end
Marriage is what I preferred
And to my joy, her Dad said, “Yes”
That’s two “yes’s” for those now scoring
But it was that third and final, “Yes”
That sent my heart a-soaring!

The great day came 10 months later
When she walked an aisle
Vows made before our Creator
Then out we went with smiles
To a world unfriendly to couples wed
In purity and love
But with a God who spoke and said,
“Just set your eyes above.”

Thus, 18 years ago, this day
I took to me mine wife
And God has blessed in every way
Through joy and even strife

Now you should know, dear GFC
How much you owe my bride
There’s much to her you do not see
But let me be your guide
Of meals sent and people in
More coffee brewed than Starbucks
A home where guests feel free to grin
And the food is beyond deluxe

A place this pastor wants to be
Even though he’s there all week
Not a home he tries to flee
And “greener pastures” seek
So I am freed to pray and think
To study in the Word
It’s my bride you should thank
If a decent sermon you’ve heard!

And you don’t see the love she gives
When sinned against by me
Nor do you watch just how she lives
Praying for you faithfully
Then sitting here week by week
With 4 kids all alone
While trying to listen to the weak
Words of me as I intone

But I see, Susan, at least in part
And am so glad you said, “Yes”
For when I’m near you, my Dearheart
I feel so deeply blessed
And I want these folks to know
(Yes, that’s partly this poem’s end...
And hope my words and roses show)
You’re still my very best friend.

[end of part one] [part two is private]

9 comments:

  1. Oh give me a break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave -

    I wish I knew which Dave you were...

    Consider yourself having been given said break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, Paul. And God bless your future years together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you didn't ask for this, and you are free to bleep it out of the blogosphere if you wish, but I take a back seat to no one when it comes to praising my wife - so I blame you for this submission.

    STAYING

    Like all the rest you saw me there.
    Like all the rest I made
    An assessment of the fickle crowd.
    And unlike them, you stayed.

    You saw the hands that weren’t so great
    But to you they made the grade.
    In time they weakened, never did that much;
    But you held them, and you stayed.

    Our love was strong, could outlast all.
    We knew it would not fade.
    But the glitter went and my warts appeared,
    And you kissed them and you stayed.

    You were smitten by my eyes of blue,
    And I, your eyes of jade.
    You looked past mine right to my soul
    And saw, and prayed, and stayed.

    We travelled far to do a work.
    I preached and oh, I prayed.
    The wise men? They gave up on me.
    But you promised; and you stayed.

    The depression came and it sought to kill;
    Waters too deep to wade.
    But you never blinked, and you dug down deep
    And you lifted me - and stayed.

    God’s ways are strange; beyond our ken
    We can’t predict the play.
    But I stay in it, no matter what
    And you joined the troupe and stayed.

    Not old yet, the ancients say;
    Too young to go away.
    But the toll is great and I feel the years
    And you strengthen me, and stay.

    I write this now, ‘cause you are here.
    At beginning and end of day.
    I close my eyes with peace at night
    Because you plan to stay.

    I love you more than I ever have;
    I love you more each day.
    Can such a love just grow and grow?
    Oh yes, because you stay.

    Kenneth G. Davis
    February 14, 2007

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to you and Susan. Lovely poem, Paul. The Lord has surely blessed GFCTO with a wonderful couple, one that exemplifies Ephesians 5:22-33 for the glory of Christ and His church.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WE WANT PART TWO!
    WE WANT PART TWO!
    But only if it's better than part one. Hey, Kerux. I bet your poetry pales in comparison to your marriage.

    Seriously, happy anniversary to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kenny -
    You are a better poet and a better man than me! Bless you!

    Derifter -
    As for part two... DREAM ON!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Paul, I really liked your verse
    It truly was inspiring
    I want to be much more like you
    And love my wife untiring
    I'll try to bless her all the more
    For that's what I'm desiring
    And make up for my lack of skill
    In home repairs and wiring.

    Congratulations Paul and Susan!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary you two! The poem was great! We have benefited greatly from your fabulous hospitality, friendship and coffee!! May the Lord continue to bless you richly!

    Jessica and Dave

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.