Sunday, February 18, 2007

Why Should We Talk to Each Other About How God Saved Us?

Our church began a new series last weekend on "God's Sovereign Saving Grace." I spent last Sunday trying to show that it has been the practice of God's people throughout history to tell one another of the saving work of their Master.

Having established that, I went on to ask the question, "Why?" I came up with eight reasons (I am sure there are more) and will share them here.

“Sing to the Lord, all the earth!
Tell of his salvation from day to day.”

- 1 Chronicles 16:23

Why ought we to tell of His salvation to each other from day to day?

The First Four Reasons:

1. To think right thoughts about God and His character.

Satan’s ploy in the garden was to deceive Eve into thinking that God was not who He revealed Himself to be. That same tactic is used by our enemy all the time! We need to think rightly about God and nothing so sanctifies our thoughts of Him as a careful contemplation of the cross.

2. To promote His Gospel.

Over and again the Bible calls us to speak of His salvation “that the nations might hear!” Those who are fluent in the Gospel have something to say to the Lost.

1Chronicles 16: 24 “Declare his glory among the nations, / his marvelous works among all the peoples! / 25 For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, / and he is to be held in awe above all gods. / 26 For all the gods of the peoples are idols, / but the Lord made the heavens.”

3. To aid in our worship.

Our corporate worship is massively intensified if we all come together with fresh thoughts of Jesus and His cross. Our prayers, singing, preaching, fellowshipping and reading of the Word are enlivened in intangible, but very real ways.

Psalm 40: 9 “I have told the glad news of deliverance / in the great congregation; / behold, I have not restrained my lips, / as you know, O Lord. / 10 I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart; / I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation; / I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness / from the great congregation.”

4. To encourage our own souls.

MLJ said, “Your problem is that you listen to yourself, rather than talk to yourself.” We are in need of daily preaching the cross to our own souls – its accomplishments, its application, and its illustration of the love of God.

Jude 1:3 “Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation…”


1 comment:

  1. That's something I love about GFC - it's normal to as someone, "So, how did you come to know the Lord?".

    The more testimonies I hear, the more I am convinced that each conversion is a miracle of God!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.