Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Listen to Your Lord

Not long ago a friend pointed out to me how God’s most consistent reason for rejecting or disciplining Israel was their rejection of His Word.

This morning I was reading in Jeremiah 6 where the same reasoning is evident.

16 Thus says the Lord:
“Stand by the roads, and look,
and ask for the ancient paths,
where the good way is; and walk in it
,
and find rest for your souls.
But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’
17 I set watchmen over you, saying,
‘Pay attention to the sound of the trumpet!’
But they said, ‘We will not pay attention.’
18 Therefore hear, O nations,
and know, O congregation, what will happen to them.
19 Hear, O earth; behold, I am bringing disaster upon this people,
the fruit of their devices,
because they have not paid attention to my words;
and as for my law, they have rejected it
.

As a pastor, I find one of my severest temptations in the realm of personal devotions. We have all said it before, “So busy with ‘ministry’ that we neglect our own soul.” I am not so foolish to miss the idea that this might very well be the Enemy’s front line of attack against me.

What is true for me personally, I believe is true for the church at large.

Some congregations go months without the Bible being read, let alone preached.

And most emergent (so-called) groups and ones like them give lip service to the Word of the Lord, but esteem their self-stimulating “ideas” over propositional reality. No wonder there is no life there.

The Lord will be listened to! And when He is not, He will create circumstances that will draw His children back to the Book.

Only a fool would resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.