Wednesday, October 25, 2006

iBob Kauflin

Worship Matters: A New Five Year Old:

Bob Kauflin offers some wise advice on iPod usage.

"1. Only isolate yourself when you should be isolated. Don’t use your music to escape serving or interacting with others.
2. Limit the amount of time you use your iPod. Silence is a profitable state that is fast becoming a relic of the past.
3. Seek to listen to a broad spectrum of musical styles.
4. Consider how to bless others through your music choices, rather than yourself."


I bought one of the really cheap shuffles a while back, thinking I could listen to some of the podcasts becoming available. But I have found the only time I can listen to the thing is when I am on the treadmill or rowing machine. And since that has been rather intermittent, (shall we say?) of late - the shuffle has not had a lot of use.

It does amaze me though to see so many heads, young and old, plugged into little electronic devices. If I am out and about I almost always try to engage phones-wearing folk in conversation. I think they need to get out of their heads more!

4 comments:

  1. Sad but true story,
    With the hype leading up to T4G, I kept up with reading their blog. They kept mentioning this thing called an iPod that I had never heard of before. About six months ago I came out an asked a guy at Future Shop what it was and he looked at me in disbelief as though I was a cave man. Then I looked at him in disbelief when I found out that all this hype is over a walkman! A small walkman! I couldn't believe it. They look neat, but I had a bit bigger one in the 80's and 90's that played tapes and infused my mind with Piper during long roller blades.
    What a riot!
    I do agree, though, with the need to be silent more of the time than our culture allows!
    Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild that you posted on this today, unbenounced I posted about my ipod usage - mostly just listing the podcasts that I listen to regularly. In my experience it has been a blessing and means of grace as I can more readily listen to latest sermons, news, etc. with some manner of control and ease. Beats digging through my glove box or under my passenger car seat looking for a tape to listen too, only to find it's been half-melted by the hot sun!

    Yesterday I downloaded Kris Lundgaards talks on 'Sin and Temptation' linked from Justin Taylors blog, loaded them on my ipod, and have been able to start listening to them on my commute to school today.

    Bob's comments are great and ought to be heeded!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Kovacs
    "unbenounced" ?? Too much ipod use I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who's the "preservation of English langauge" dude? I've seen that word spelled "unbenownst," but I'm wondering if that is even a word? Sounds kind of King James-ish to me.

    At any rate... I can identify with Ian above. I am presently using my IPod to infuse my mind with Piper - just not on roller blades, not on tapes and not on a Walkman. As for Jason's comment, I had never thought of it as a means of grace, but that has been my experience as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.