Monday, November 07, 2005

Critiquing Other Christians...

Last week I posted about Bono Vox (as he used to be called) lead singer of U2 and his published remarks on Christianity. The post created an interesting string of comments!

One comment suggested that I was wrong to speak about Bono since I had not gone to him first in private. That always sounds good, and I am not trying to discount the particular Scriptures that teach us to approach a brother, but in the case of the wildly famous, I don’t think it works. I mean, how do you get close to a guy surrounded by thousands of fans and not a few large security guards? Even if I could get within shouting distance, I doubt we could enter a meaningful conversation about spiritual matters!

Besides that, I have met a few famous people in my day, and they all struck me as being very wary of giving anything too personal away. I mean, how can they trust anyone since almost everyone trying to get close to them is only “in it” for personal gain. Frankly, I think it is a pretty sad life.

So, does that warrant insignificant people like me writing about them instead?

I don’t think so, if I am just out to bash and smash. There is no place for that.

But the church is always swayed by the culture in which she is placed by God. And one of the prevailing winds of post-modern Canada (dare I add America?!) is the veneration of celebrity. Oprah and Dr. Ruth often carry more practical sway in some evangelicals’ minds than Moses and Paul. So, part of defending "the faith once delivered" in our day and age is engaging the statements made by celebrity voices and comparing them to Truth.

My motive in quoting the rollingstone.com article of Bono was not to bash Bono, but to point out where his statements did not line up to Truth. Why did I feel compelled to do this? So that good Christian people would not be swayed from that Truth merely by the power of personality.

Public statements should always be open to scrutiny (nobody seemed to mind scrutinizing mine!) and the goal of that examination must be to determine whether or not what is said is an accurate reflection of the Word.